PDO Handakas-Candia received its PDO status in 2011 and includes all the district around Heraklion except some smaller areas in the southwest and southeast parts. With an altitude of approx. 700 meters above sea level the vineyards in PDO Candia benefit all year round from the northern winds that offer milder temperatures compared with the prevailing temperatures in the rest of Crete during the season. PDO Candia offers dry white wines, containing Vilana up to 85 % and the rest 15% being a blend of the following indigenous varieties: Assyrtiko, Athiri, Thrapsathiri and Vidiano; and dry reds, made from Mandelaria (30%) and Kotsifali (70%).